How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have jus split from my partner and have sold our house

This answer was rated:

Hi I have jus split from my partner and have sold our house we bought together and now he has started to get nasty saying I've to get nothing when a move but house is in joint ownership can he do this?
Thank you for your question.
No he can't do this. The proceeds have to be split equally unless there is a credible reason why that shouldn't happen, such as one party made excessive contribution to the house over the other. If would require an order of the court to divide the proceeds other than equally.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you