How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12193
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Is there a law in Scotland to forbid neighbours (directly across)

This answer was rated:

Is there a law in Scotland to forbid neighbours (directly across) from me using my drive to reverse her car? Please help.
Ellen McCullagh
Thank you for your question.
Yes, there is the common law of nuisance, which says that one neighbour isn't allowed to do anything that is a nuisance to others. This is often stated in the title deeds to neighbouring properties as well.
There is also the law of property. One person isn't allowed to use another's property without the permission of the other.
Your remedy is to go to court for an order for interdict preventing the behaviour complained of.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you