How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12199
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A lady was living with me in excess of two years, she moved

This answer was rated:

A lady was living with me in excess of two years, she moved out on the 4th October 2014. I`m a farmer she is now claiming she worked on the farm and is claiming a £20,000.00 settlement. She did help me with small jobs as I did for her. She worked as a part time teacher, I gave her a £100.00 for shopping and I paid for all utility bills. Have I a case to answer. Jim
Thank you for your question.
She has no claim unless she suffered financial disadvantage and gained a financial advantage. From what you say she has no claim. See online section 28 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 2006 about this. Also the case of Gow v Grant, Supreme Court judgement.
There is nothing you have said that would suggest she is entitled to be compensated.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you