How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

, we are considering extending the rear of our home but doing so would involve building

This answer was rated:

Hi, we are considering extending the rear of our home but doing so would involve building over a public sewer (terraced housing). I know we need to get permission from Scottish Water to do so (and I believe we can) but I'm wondering whether this might leave us with any difficulties in selling the house or costs if there is a problem with the sewer under the extension.
Thank you for your question.
Scottish Water may ask you to sign an agreement covering a situation whereby they may need access in the future for repairs or renewal of the sewer. I have had this situation with clients before and your architect or builder will have to discuss what method of construction will be used so as to enable such works.
I know of one case where an extension was built without consultation and the house is now unsellable as if works are needed to the pipe, the extension will have to be demolished.
The correct thing to do here is discuss this in advance with Scottish Water so that you don't waste time and money on getting local authority consents and then discover there is a problem after the work is complete.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you