How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12192
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

, my husband and I have been together 10 years, we married

This answer was rated:

Hi, my husband and I have been together 10 years, we married 30/9/10 on our daughters 3rd birthday.
Just after Christmas my husband told me he wants me to leave the house and my daughter.
I refused and have been battling to save my marriage since. I work full time and my husband took early retirement 2 years ago. He has told me he is depressed, but will not speak to anyone about this. He refuses to talk about the present situation and has also been seeing another woman. Our daughter is 7 years old.
The family home is in my husbands name as he owned the house before we got together.
I am terrified I'm going to lose my home and my daughter.
We live in Scotland, UK
Please help me.
Thank you for your question.
He can't ask you to leave. Even though he owns the house and it isn't part of the marital assets as he owned it before you were married, it is what is called a matrimonial home. Under legislation you have the right to occupy a matrimonial home with your daughter unless a court says otherwise. A court would only cancel your occupancy rights if you were being abisive or violent towards your husband.
So you can't be forced from the house.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He has threatened to change the locks when I'm out.
Can he do this? Effectively evicting me from home and away from daughter
No he can't. He would then run the risk of you getting a court order for him to leave the house because of behaviour likely to be injurious to the physical or mental health of you and your daughter.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Where do I stand if we divorce. Re the house and my daughter
Occupancy rights come to an end on divorce. You would have to ask the court to make financial provision for you and your daughter based on your entitlement to a share of matrimonial assets and/or spousal and child maintenance.
What you are entitled to depends on what resources there are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Can I refuse to sign divorce papers
You don't have to consent. He would have to wait two years to do it without your consent and even then you could counterclaim for financial provision.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If we divorce can I take my daughter? He says no I cannot.
You each have equal parental rights to your daughter. Where she stays after a separation will be determined by what is in her best interests.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So if we divorce I can leave with my daughter? Unless a court says otherwise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If I leave can I take any furniture with me, that was purchased during the marriage?
Furniture purchased during the marriage is jointly owned. You're entitled to a fair share of it.