How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am years old, and touch wood, in very good health, my

This answer was rated:

I am 69 years old, and touch wood, in very good health, my husband is a good few years younger than me, and the house we live in, which still has a mortgage is in joint names. However, if I had to go into care, would we then have to sell the house to pay for care, or, if we put the house ownership just in my husband's name, would that exempt him from having to contribute to my care by selling the house?
Thank you for your question.
If the house is in joint names, the state cannot make you sell it to pay for your care.
For that reason you don't have to think about transferring the title to him. It can stay in joint names.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you