How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12187
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland and my daughter lives with her father in

This answer was rated:

I live in Scotland and my daughter lives with her father in England and he is refusing to allow me to talk to her etc is there anything I can do
Thank you for your question.
The court in England has jurisdiction over your daughter is that is where your daughter stays. For that reason you may want to instruct an English solicitor either directly or on an agency basis through your solicitor in Scotland.
English law is such that you have to attempt mediation with the father to try to agree contact. If that doesn't work you would have to take it to the court.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What is an agency basis and how does it work
It means that your instruct your lawyer in Scotland and he in turn instructs and English lawyer to do the English part of things. It's a bit more expensive but it means that you can see someone face to face and wouldn't have to travel to England quite so much.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you