How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

there, sorry to bother you but I am in urgent advice, my

Customer Question

Hi there, sorry to bother you but I am in urgent advice, my partner who I live and not married too but we do have two children together, was diagnosed with depression at end of jan this yr, things have been very tough, he will not take responsibility for any of his erratic actions leading up to his diagnosis and is now telling me he doesn't want me around, we still live in same house but he doesn't help me with kids, still makes me do his dinner but doesn't speak to a any of us within the house most days, just goes and relaxes on his own leaving me with the kids, etc. the problem is where do I stand if he asks me to leave, do I have any standing to stay here and fight it as I also have been part of his farm (contracted as a farm worker) which he runs in partnership with his parents, they give me 112.50 a week 'pocket money' no matter how many hours I do but I also have his dad who swears and curses at me a lot if I don't do what he thinks for e.g stay at home and not work or not have my partners dinner out by a certain time, this is a very stressful situation to be in and I need to know do I have a stand to stay here, but I do feel my relationship is over, I have argued with him which wasn't the best idea but now I just stay quiet and tiptoe around him and do what he asks but I feel like I don't matter and I want that too change for myself and my kids with thanks fiona
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
If you are not married and don't own part of the house you have no automatic right to stay in the house. You can apply to the court for occupancy rights which the court can grant for up to six months at a time.
Is that what you want or do you want to leave?
-Could you explain your situation a little more?