How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Someone I know has been talking about me, about when I married

This answer was rated:

Someone I know has been talking about me, about when I married my husband who has four children (now adults), and the way I brought them up, according to my husbands daughter. The person who is doing the talking did not visit or know us when the children were young, as far as I am concerned this is only hearsay and I am getting a bad name, without being able to defend myself. I hope you will be able to give me an answer
Thank you for your question.
Your concern is that defamatory statements are being made about you. Ultimately such statement would be countered by a court action against the person for defamation and damages but such actions are very expensive to run and I would not advise doing this.
What you can do is get your solicitor to write what is called a "cease and desist letter" to this person demanding that they stop making statements about you which are defamatory and untrue. In my experience such a letter is often all that is needed to stop this kind of unpleasant behaviour.
You need to instruct a civil court lawyer to write such a letter for you.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you