How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My son and his girlfriend have split up he paid car

This answer was rated:

My son and his girlfriend have split up he paid for the car she has, he paid her father £5000 odds and the garage £4000 all names and amounts on his bank statements. He has asked her for the car but she has refused but offering monthly payments of £200. Can he force the car or a lump sum back. he also paid the road tax.
Thank you for your question.
He has no legal basis for asking for the car. He can pursue for the cost. She could ask the court for time to pay the debt if she hasn't got the full amount. He would have to oppose such an application on the basis she could sell the car to realise the cash.
The judge would have to decide what was reasonable. From experience a time to pay order is likely, especially if she demonstrates a need for the car.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you