How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12301
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I sub let some property as boat storage (ashore), one customer

This answer was rated:

I sub let some property as boat storage (ashore), one customer has not paid for two years, presently due £1940,boat value is about £3000, I have also carried out some work and maintenance on this vessel during the past two years,this is included in the fee, location is Scotland UK,i have invoiced monthly, nothing,no communication,what are my rights, can I sell the boat and items to clear the account, or is it small debts court,customer is not short of money,well established local businessman,i have advised him to pay prior to legal action,still nothing,please advise.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots lawyer and will help you with this.
You can't sell the boat unless you get a decree for payment from the court followed by sheriff officers executing an attachment of the boat and then selling it, formerly called a pounding and warrant sale.
As you probably know you do have a lien on the boat, ie, you don't have to hand it over until you are paid.
Your first step is the small claim court for an action for payment. Details at
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for the information,appreciated.

You're welcome.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you