How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12182
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland and my partner and I who jointly own our

Customer Question

I live in Scotland and my partner and I who jointly own our house with a mortgage have split up.he put in a slightly hight deposit towards the house than me.the house is currently on the market-when it is sold is he legally entitled to a higher share of the net proceeds of sale than me or am I entitled to a 50 percent share?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I am a Scots solicitor and will help you with this.
There is a law in Scotland called unjust enrichment. What it means is that no one should be able to benefit if another party made a larger contribution. Unless there is evidence that he should not be credited for his larger contribution, for example, if you made a contribution towards fitting out or decorating, then generally he would be entitled to recover his larger contribution.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.