How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12069
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I was involved in realationship that ended very bad., I was

This answer was rated:

I was involved in realationship that ended very bad., I was receiving threatening calls and messages then real threats of revenge porn being up loaded to the Internet.there was violence during the relationship but wasn't reported at the time. When I received these threats I called the police as I was very worried and have a young daughter, the result of me going to the police has resulted in a court case where he has been charged with harassment and i have been called to appear at court against him. The case is 8 weeks away.,I must say this is in Scotland., I have managed to get some of my life rebuilt I deal with a lot caring for my mother with dementia.,working and being a mother.the question I'd like to ask is can I withdraw my statement? And how would this effect this case and how do I do that,? I thank you for advice as I am lost with this it's having a horrible effect on my life.,there has been no issues with this guy since, I just want it to go away!!!!
Thank you for your question.
I think what you want to do is ask the procurator fiscal for a meeting about this to discuss your position as a victim. The difficulty is that once the report Is made and once the prosecution system starts there is little possibility of stopping the system.
You made the complaint to the police and were right to do so but that doesn't put you in a situation that you can withdraw your complaint. The prosecutpr acts in the public interest and they will continue with the prosecution and they will expect you to be a witness.
If you try to withdraw your statement you could be prosecuted yourself for perjury. My advice is that you will have to proceed with the case and give evidence in respect of the complaints that you made.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you