How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12189
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am recently (Feb 2) separated and heading . I

This answer was rated:

I am recently (Feb 2) separated and heading for divorce. I am happy to continuing contributing half my current salary to my wife in the year until the divorce is finalised, but want to reduce the contributions in the two years afterwards. My wife, who is currently not employed, is insisting that I contribute 50% of my salary for a full three years after the date of separation. Does she have a case? My fear is that she will be able to use the salary contribution (plus other money from the financial settlement) as a reason not to find employment, thus giving me no opportunity of reducing my financial contribution to her.
Thank you for your question.
Spousal maintenance is based on needs and resources and also what there is in the way of matrimonial property. For that reason it is difficult to answer your question without that information.
In general terms the court prefers a clean break principal so whilst the legislation says that a periodical allowance, ie, maintenance is to be paid for a period not exceeding three years from the date of divorce, if a division of capital can be made to cancel out periodical allowance, this tends to be the preferred route.
And as you touch on in your narrative, a court would also look at the job market available to the wife and her earning capacity when fixing the length of time the payments are to run for.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you