How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

if y seven year old son does not wish to visit, spend the day

This answer was rated:

if y seven year old son does not wish to visit, spend the day with stay with overnight without his parents at his mothers grandparents. His mother says he has to go but as a father because of his alleged maltreatment which he verbally has informed me of on numerous occasions eg shouting at him a lot, forcing him food...being overly strict. Can his mother force him to go while his father does not want hi to spend unsupervised time with them ?
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
Both parents have to act in the best interests of the child. The mother can Insist that the child goes. If the father doesn't consider that to be in th child's best interests he would need to apply to the court for an order stopping this.
The difficulty is that both parents have parental rights and responsibilities. Where they disagree as to the application of these there is no alternative but to ask the court to intervene.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you