How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12177
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have a property valued at £300,000.00 of which I would like

This answer was rated:

I have a property valued at £300,000.00 of which I would like to use as security for my husbands debt of £45000.00. I have already put the property on the market for sale because I it's too far away from where we happily live together. please advice
Thank you for your question.
If your husband's creditor is agreeable a standard security can be granted by you in favour of the creditor and registered over the property. That means that the creditor would have right to such of the proceeds of sale as would be required to repay the debt and. discharge of the security would be granted at that time.
Alternatively, as you say you have done, you can apply for a mortgage on the usual way and repay the debt. In that case the lender would take a security over the property until the sale and repayment of the loan.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you