How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My wife and i have just separated and she now refuses to pay

This answer was rated:

my wife and i have just separated and she now refuses to pay half the mortgage where do i stand
Thank you for your question.
You can claim her share as part of any financial settlement in the future.
Alternatively you can apply to the court to have the property sold.
Finally, you can possibly apply to the court for maintenance for yourself to cover her share, depending of course on all the other financial issues.
Whichever is the correct way forward should be discussed with your own solicitor as there will probably be multiple issues, not just the issue of the mortgage payments.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you