How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13486
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have another question related to the last one about my

This answer was rated:

I have another question related to the last one about my energy provider...

If I do go to small claims court, there are a couple of things that I want to claim for, but unsure if/how I can claim for them:

1) After moving house our budget has been very tight, and we have basically been living in fear for a year that an unexpectedly huge energy bill will come through the door one day. We don't know what this house costs to heat so we basically had to turn the heating right down during the winter which was very uncomfortable. We are really angry about this but is there any way to include that as a monetary/compensation claim in small claims court?

2) In a letter that I sent (recorded mail) over 2 months ago, I said that I had been asking for 8 months for them to close our account so we can go to a cheaper/better supplier. I said that if they don't reply within 1 week of receiving the letter I will claim £50 from them for every month that they failed to respond to my communication (£400). They still haven't replied! Can I claim this payment in small claims court?

Thanks a lot for all your help :)

Thank you for your question.
1. This is a claim for inconvenience and distress and is competent.
2. No, you can't claim this as it is a unilateral claim with no basis in law, either contract or delict.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you