How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13217
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My brother is 23 years-old and has some previous convictions,

This answer was rated:

My brother is 23 years-old and has some previous convictions, mostly for theft related to his alcohol problems. He was recently convicted in the sheriff solemn court on another charge of theft and has been remanded in custody for sentencing, though the sheriff has indicated that he might consider a suitable alternative to a custodial sentence. Can you tell me what ‘suitable alternative to a custodial sentence’ there might be?
Thank you for your question.
Probation with a condition of alcohol counselling along with a community service type disposal would be an appropriate all active to prison.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you