How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My boyfriend took my 11 yr old son to the dentist and the dentist

This answer was rated:

my boyfriend took my 11 yr old son to the dentist and the dentist refused to treat him because my son was not old enough to consent and because my boyfriend is not his father. can he do this? and is there anything I can do about it as far as knowing the law
Thank you for your question.
The dentist is right. Only a parent or legal guardian can consent to medical or dental treatment for a child as only a parent or guardian has parental responsibilities under the Children (Scotland) Act 1995. If your boyfriend is neither, the dentist won't carry out treatment.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so is there any thing I can do to permit him to have parental responsibility? other than adoption

The easiest thing to do would be to grant him power of attorney to take decisions on your behalf about your sons medical and dental treatment.