How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12072
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I bought a Vauxhall insignia in 2012 to use as a taxi. From

Customer Question

I bought a Vauxhall insignia in 2012 to use as a taxi. From that time until December 2014 I had it regularly serviced by two different engineers. When they were separately informed that the car was running badly due to carbon deposit build up on the dps they both at different times said not a problem, they would link it to a computer and blow it through!
This was done once by one and twice by the other company! In December 2014 the engine started to run extremely fast and engine oil was very quickly mixed with diesel fuel causing the engine to seize!
The vehicle had just had a service in November 26. Having an oil flush and change, new water pump, cam belt and tensioners. Both companies denied all responsibility and I had to purchase a new car.
Is there any redress from either one or both?
At no time was I told to get a new dps which is what should have happened. Both companies just kept blowing through.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
What evidence do you have that the companies were at fault in the way they dealt with your car? Do you have an expert report?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No expert report. However, I was told by another taxi driver that the garages should have put additives in the fuel which would have negated this situation. Also that I should have been informed that a new dps system was required not just a "blow out".
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
You have a case here on paper but in order to prove that case in a court you will need a report from an expert independent mechanic to establish the technical nature of your case.
If you don't have that, and have now disposed of the vehicle so that it can't be examined, I can't advise you to proceed with a claim.