How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13474
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

How do I go about getting permission to scatter/inter the ashes

This answer was rated:

How do I go about getting permission to scatter/inter the ashes of a loved one in a closed C of S churchyard. We are churchgoers but not members of the church in question.
Thank you for your question.
As regards ***** ***** you would need the permission of the executor. As regards ***** ***** you would ask the congregational board of the relevant church. I presume your loved one had a connection to the church in which case your request is unlikely to be refused.
Happy to discuss.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That's good,

I am the chief executor.

I was worried that I might have to get a license from CofS in Edinburgh, or, because it is a closed churchyard, we would have to get involved with the local authority.

I take it the congregational board is the local group of elders. I know the minister, so if local permission is all that is required, that is fairly straightforward.


You're welcome. I am of conspires assuming that the church still owns the graveyard. If it's owned by the local authority then that may be different.
JGM and 3 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you