How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12086
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have separated from my husband at the end of January.

This answer was rated:

Hi I have separated from my husband at the end of January. I know hear that he is selling a the flat his father left him in his will. We also have a family home with a mortgage and a house we rent out. What if any is my legal entitlement to a share in the property my husband is selling.
Thank you for your question.
As the house he is selling was left to your husband in his father's will, you have no entitlement to a share in it.
The law is stated in the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985, section 10(4). Matrimonial property excludes anything inherited from a third party.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you