How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12088
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

The police came to my place of work to question me. I was

This answer was rated:

The police came to my place of work to question me. I was at lunch at the time so they came to my home and released me later without charge. My employer has suspended me without pay and I have to meet with them on Monday as they consider this severe misconduct. I was wrongly accused and the police agreed with this. Can my employer dismiss me?
Thank you for your question.
No, the employer has to make reasonable enquiries. He can only dismiss on reasonabl belief that you have done something which would justify ending the employer/employee relationship.
If you were wrongly accused then they can't dismiss you because if they do that would be unfair dismissal.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and 2 other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you