How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12074
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My 92 year old Mum is terminally ill. She lives in sheltered

This answer was rated:

Hi my 92 year old Mum is terminally ill. She lives in sheltered housing in Scotland & needs to move to a care home ASAP. She has limited funds but possibly enough to self fund for a year -( the family home being sold in 2007 & the proceeds divided between the children as was my
fathers wishes. )Do I still need to have Power of Attorney over Mums social & financial affairs. I did sign a bank mandate to allow me to deal with some of her finances. What would you advise?
Thank you for your question.
I suggest that you get a power of attorney drawn up assuming that your mum can understand it and is happy to do so. Any care home will want you to have power of attorney so that you are the main point of contact and you'll also be able to deal with you Mother's day to day financial affairs.
Happy to discuss.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you