How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12188
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

There my grandson is 27 years old, he is unable to get

This answer was rated:

Hi there
my grandson is 27 years old, he is unable to get council accomadation, he has found a one bedroom flat, what is his position on housing benefit,, he lives in Morayshire Scotland
Thank you for your question.
A single person under 35 renting from a private landlord wouod usually only get a local housing allowance to cover the cost of a single room in a shared house in the area, not housing benefit.
However there is an exception to this if he is severely disabled. In that case the shared accommodation rate doesn't apply and he would get the local housing allowance for the whole flat.
You can check out the amount of local housing allowance rates for your area on the Directgov website.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you