How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 13500
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

We live in Scotland. My son will turn 20 on 30th April 2016.

This answer was rated:

We live in Scotland. My son will turn 20 on 30th April 2016. He has signed up for a full-time College Course that will run from August 2015 to May 2016. At what point does my legal responsibility stop in terms of making my monthly payments to his mother?
Also, can I choose to start making payments directly to my son rather than to his mother during the period where I am legally responsible?
Thank you for your question.
Your legal responsibility has already ended, assuming your son has left school and child benefit is no longer being paid to the mother.
Whilst he is under the age of 25 and undergoing a full time course of education or training you have a duty to pay ailment for him of an amount which is reasonable having regard to his needs and your resources. His mother has the same duty if he is living outwith her home.
The law here is contained in section 1 of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you