How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 7
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

You answered a question a few months back, there

Customer Question

Hi, You answered a question for me a few months back, there have been recent developments. how do I get the message to you directly rather than posting a general question? thanks Liam


My wife left home on the 7th May, I live in the house we bought together
about a year ago with my three children. My wife is the childrens step-mother.

I have received a letter from her solicitor stating that the marriage has broken down and asking
that "we commence negotiations with regards ***** ***** division of the matrimonial property" as this
is the main asset.

They have also stated that she has a loan and credit card amounting to £5000
in her name but has continued to pay these "joint matrimonial debt" without any assistance
from me.

I also have debts from loans/credit cards amounting to £29,000 accumulated from when we
married 6 years ago and from when we lived together for the previous 5 years.
I am also paying monthly for these and for the mortgage.

The house will have only £20,000 equity, what I would like to know is if I would be forced to
sell the property on divorce to give her half to pay off her debt?

Also, is the joint matrimonial debt of £34,000 to be shared by us or what is in our own name.

I am really trying to find a way to keep the house for the children, can you see any way I could
do this?


Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am a moderator for this topic.
All questions are posted on the site and contact with the Expert must be through the site.
Please confirm if you would like to continue with this.
Thank you,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes, I would, thanks.

I have not received a reply,

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Thank you for your patience,
Customer: replied 2 years ago.


Can I have an update on this, has my CC been charged?