How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

The Australian Department of Human Services claims I owe some

This answer was rated:

The Australian Department of Human Services claims I owe some £7000 in child support and has contacted me via a Scottish legal firm threatening to seek a judgement in the sheriff court for the amount.
I do not believe I owe any arrears, and believe the alleged debt is a result of miscalculation, unwarranted assumptions and deliberate deceit on the part of my ex-wife.
Is it possible to legally challenge this matter in a Scottish court?
I should mention that I am retired and have extremely limited financial resources and could not pay this alleged debt even if I considered it legitimate.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
Thank You.
Thank you for your question.
The merits of the Australian order cannot be argued in a Scottish court. The Scottish court is only used to register an order from Australia for enforcement in Scotland.
To challenge the actual order, the correct jurisdiction is Australia. That will also be the reason that you won't get legal aid in Scotland as this is not a Scottish matter of law but an Australian one.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
In the event of a judgement for the amount claimed being entered against me, what will happen when I am unable to pay? I receive a very small monthly pension and have no other financial resources. My only significant asset is my home, which is owned jointly with my long-term partner (both our names are ***** ***** title). Could I be forced to sell it? This is a genuine "can't get blood out of a stone" scenario. What's the worst that could happen? Any advice would be appreciated.
PS: I do not have a computer at home and use my local library, which is not open every day, so there's inevitably a delay in responding to emails.
The worst scenario is that they use the order to make you bankrupt in which case a trustee in bankruptcy could sell the house to use your half share of equity to pay the debt and the expenses of the sequestration.