How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12064
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

HMRC took out a sequestration against me this morning

This answer was rated:

HMRC took out a sequestration against me this morning for an unpaid vat bill due to serious illness. I had spoke to them and was told to attend court this morning and ask for the maximum continuation period of 42 days to allow me to pay, to which I agreed and they would not contest this. I was in court on time but due to medication I was at the toilets being violently sick and did not enter court until 10.15. I sat through 2 hours of court proceedings until I was the last in the court and the clerk told me my case was the first called and the sequestration was granted in my absence. What are my options please.
Thank you for your question.
You should not have left the courtroom without telling the clerk where you were going.
You now have no option but to apply for a recall of the sequestration against payment of the sum sought by HMRC.
You will need to see a solicitor about this and he or she will have to contact HMRC and the Accountant in Bankruptcy to give notice of your intention to apply for a recall and to advise when the payment is going to be made.
The recall proceedings will cost about £3-4000.
DO NOT try to deal with this yourself. Even most solicitors are wary of dealing with bankruptcy matters and leave it to the specialists. Ask the Law Society for a recommendation of a solicitor who is competent in this field. has a Find a Solicitor tool which might help you.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time?
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you