How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12183
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

There, I recently purchased a car from an Evens Halshaw

Customer Question

Hi there, I recently purchased a car from an Evens Halshaw garage. I picked the car up on Saturday 29th August which I was happy with. On Monday morning (31st August) I was driving to work when all of a sudden I heard a bang, my left hand driver side wheel had come completely off! The wheel then hit a pavement and came back, smashing the front wind screen and denting the roof. I then sent the car back to Evens Halshaw. I currently have a courtesy car from Evens Halshaw. And was told that if I seen another car I liked I was to phone and enquire. After such an experience I was fully expecting some sort of compensation, such as my £600 negative equity to be quashed and maybe even a discount on a similar car? But I'm still expected to pay the £600 negative equity and pay full price for another car.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will try to help with this.
How can I help with this ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jo, i was wondering if I should be expecting some sort of compensation?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 2 years ago.
Sorry. I have realised you are in Scotland.
I will move this to Scots law for you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
You are entitled to reject the car you bought, get a refund for anything you have paid by way of finance to date and claim the value of your old car, if they are not able to return the old car.
You are entitled to compensation for inconvenience. Whether that is rolled into the acquisition of a different car or a write of of any negative equity would be a matter for negotiation. There is no specific formula for this and it would be for you to make a counter offer to the garage by of negotiating a settlement that you are happy with.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi again, I Part exchanged my car for £9500, and carried over £600 negative equity. Does this mean if I'm unable to get my old car back (I know it has been sold) I should expect £9500 from Evens Halshaw? Thanks again.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
If they have sold the car or put it into the trade, they should already have redeemed the finance I would have thought.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes they paid off my settlement which came to £10102.95. And gave me £9500.00 for part exchanging my car. Would this be the sum of money I'm owed if I'm unable to get my original car back?
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the £9500.