How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12181
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have parental rights and responsibilities orphaned

This answer was rated:

I have parental rights and responsibilities for my orphaned 11 year old grandson. There is a court contact order in place for my daughters ex partner and my granddaughter ( his half sister). Things have happened and my grandson is not happy and doesn't want to go. What can I do?
Thank you for your question.
You will, unfortunately, have to instruct your lawyer again. As there is a court order for contact you have to obey this until the court varies the order. You will have to go to court and seek a variation of the contact order to nil if that is what you consider is the best interests of your grandson.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Am I right in thinking though that as long as I make my grandson available for contact I am doing the right thing. If my grandson tells him he doesn't want to go with him then that is not my doing, but I will speak to my lawyer.
That is exactly right. You have to explain the terms of the court order to your grandson as well but you can't force a child of that age to go if he isn't happy or is scared to go.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you