How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12087
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a widow receiving a widows pension from my late husbands

Customer Question

Hi I am a widow receiving a widows pension from my late husbands employer it says that if I re marry or cohabitate I will loose my pension but I have a very dear friend how I would like to we would like to buy a house together so as to share the costs anabling us to live more comfortable we would have separate rooms as we wouldn't be together in that way he is 64 and I am 58 and have some health problems which means I could retire earlier if we were just shareing the house hold bills
What do you think
Thanks Mary
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
Cohabit means living together at bed and board, not living as housemates. You should be fine with the arrangement you propose. I suggest that you do check the exact wording of the scheme and any stated definitions therein to be sure, however.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.