How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Story is a little complicated so I'll try to keep it simple.

This answer was rated:

Hi, story is a little complicated so I'll try to keep it simple. I am separated from my wife and we have lived apart for around 5 years but are no legally separated or divorced. A few reasons for that but one of them was my wife's problems in her relationship with y daughter who was 15 at the time of separation and is now 20. My daughter says my wife was abusive towards her and I did see signs of that prior to separation. problem now is my wife seems to have a concerted campaign of harassment and false allegations of crimes, twice accusing my daughter of stealing money from her maternal Grand mother and now alleged to have stolen an expensive handbag from my wife. My wife claims to have has a designer handbag delivered to my home and that my daughter took it and has reported this to the police. The police have now interviewed us in our home once and now have asked us to go to the station to make a formal statement that we have no knowledge of the crime, and the police have told me there is no evidence but my wife has badgered the police to continue with the investigation. Add to this my daughter received a birthday card and baby pictures of her from her about 10 days ago, saying she will always welcome contact with her and she will always love her and to give her a call. My daughter was in tears and does not want anything to do with her mother as each time she attempts reconciliation she gets accused of some wrongdoing. I share this story to get advice on whether I should get help with a harassment case and whether I need any legal advice about going in to see the police and make a statement. I personally suspect my wife is mentally ill, and I have suggested she see someone about it but all I get in the past when I suggested that was physical and verbal abuse. Sorry for the long story but thought is best to try to paint a full picture.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
As I was reading your narrative I was starting to wonder whether your wife was suffering from some kind of split personality and then I got to the bit where you suspect your wife is mentally ill......
I do think that at the very least you should be getting a solicitor to write to your wife refuting her claims and advising that any further false accusations will result in harassment proceedings. You should advise the police that this is being done although I suspect that they know the truth of the matter.
The injured party in all of this is your daughter and the letter that is written to her may want to state that your daughter wishes no further contact unless and until she is prepared to stop making groundless accusations.
I also wonder if it is time for you to consider a divorce on the basis that a "clean break" might go some way to ending this. It's just a suggestion based on experience and you would have to consider that as an option based on your knowledge of your wife and her personality.
I am sorry that you and your daughter are having to go through this. If I can assist further please let me know.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for the clear response. I will leave a positive response just one more question. You may not be able to do this but I don't have a solicitor I live in Fife but work in Edinburgh and my wife is based in Edinburgh. Can you either recommend a solicitor or guide me on what type of solicitor I should engage with ?
Thanks for your reply. You need an experienced family law solicitor. Unfortunately experts on JustAnswer aren't permitted to recommend solicitors but what you can do is go to the Law Society website and either call them for a recommendation or use the Find a Solicitor tool on the site. You can ask the system to give you a list of accredited specialists in family law in your area.
Accredited specialists are experienced practitioners within their specific field.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you