How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I offered in writing to relinquish my share of a holiday cottage

This answer was rated:

I offered in writing to relinquish my share of a holiday cottage ,jointly owned with my brother and registered jointly at land registry. I have now received legal documents to sign over my share but I have changed my mind. He had said he could not afford to buy me out.
Am I now in breach of promise and can force me to sign the legal document.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland.
Unless there is a written agreement, in the form of missives of sale, then he can't force you to sign the paperwork. There has to be a written agreement for the sale or purchase of heritable property in Scotland. If neither you nor your solicitor has signed anything then there is no agreement.
Scots law doesn't recognise a doctrine of breach of promise in relation to heritable property.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you