How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12079
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My X wife had a child by a previous marriage and is paid Child

Customer Question

my X wife had a child by a previous marriage and is paid Child support by her previous husband. we have been devorced for almost a year and I have just recieved a letter from her third solicitor threatening to take out a court action for financial support for her child from a previous marriage. The child in question ( do not wish to use names etc) was never adopptedby my self. We had a child of our own in our marriage and I pay the appropriate monthly maintenance for her. I fail to understand how a solicitor can send a letter threatening me with court action if I do not start to pay towards a child that is not mine and my x is recieving support from the father's father.
whare di I stand under Scottish law and should I just ignore thes letters.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
You are not responsible for this child. The solicitor is writing nonsense. Write back and tell him so. That is all you should do.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.