How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask ivorylounge Your Own Question
ivorylounge, Advocate
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience:  Over 25 years experience
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
ivorylounge is online now

I really hope you can. I have been living with my partner for

This answer was rated:

Hello, I really hope you can. I have been living with my partner for the past 25 years, we recently had to sell the house which was never put I to joint names. My partner has agreed for the new house to be put in joint names. There will be a profit of £6.0000 which he says he should have 35.000 as the money he says he put into it in the first place plus half f the remaining which will leave me with approx 10.000
. This doesn't feel very fair to me as I have always contributed half to all the house expenses etc. I realise I have very little power here as he has all the control given that we are not married. We have achiltogether who is now26 years we moved into the house together to give us all a family home. Do I have any say n thie matter of the money. Thank. Gil
Are you married?
ivorylounge, Advocate
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 33540
Experience: Over 25 years experience
ivorylounge and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you need more information
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there, am I doing something wrong??
Thank you for your question.
Sorry about the earlier confusion which was as a result of the wrong expert being asked to answer the question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this.
Cohabiting couples have rights under the family law legislation. If you separate, even if the property is not in your name, you would be entitled to claim a capital payment for "compensation" for any disadvantage suffered by you during the relationship in the interests of your partner or in the interests of the children. In this case you have clearly been a couple for many many years and the fact that your name was not put onto the title of the family home is a matter of disadvantage to you given your contribution to the family.
As with a married situation all of this only becomes relevant if you separate. At this stage you should insist that the new house be put into joint names and to the survivor to cover a death situation as well.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.