How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I tried to divorce my wife over 15 years ago. She had become

This answer was rated:

I tried to divorce my wife over 15 years ago. She had become untraceable. Can I obtain a divorce now without her consent. She has just contacted and stirred the old emotions.I want to help her but feel giving her money will renew the old responsibilities. Would giving her money through her bank account make me responsible?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. Yes you can divorce her without her consent. Assuming you have no children together under the age of 16 and there are no outstanding property or financial issues you can do this under simplified procedure or "quickie" divorce. You can download the form at The form you need is called SPB. I don't recommend that you pay her any money pre divorce in case she takes that as an indication that she should apply for maintenance. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you