How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12179
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My father died recently and my mother who is ill is being cared

This answer was rated:

My father died recently and my mother who is ill is being cared for by the family. Two of us the children have power of attorney over my mother. Can we sell the house and claim the estate of around £150000. The reason I ask is that mum has dementia and although we can look after her now we may not be able to in the future.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
we all live inengland
Thank you for your question? Does your father's estate pass to your mother in terms of his will?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if it passed to the children would it have made a difference
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
are you still looking at the question thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi JGM, I assume you will text me answer thanks
Thank you for responding. The attorneys can't just take the estate and divide it amongst the family. An attorney has to act in the best interests of the granter of the attorney. If your mother requires to go to a care home in the future, the authority will ask for evidence of her finances and for details of any transactions such as that you are contemplating.
The authority can refuse to provide funding if there has been "depravation" of property, in other words the person, or their attorney, has diverted assets elsewhere so as to avoid liability for the cost of care home fees.
So if you did divide up your parents' assets, it is possible that the local authority would refuse to provide funding in the future and the liability would pass back to the family.
As I said earlier, however, the attorney's are not supposed to take money from the grantor and give it to the family, except tot the extent that the grantor herself may have considered making gifts were she able to decide that for herself.
Happy to discuss further.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
what would have happened if the will had been made to the children ?
Then your father's estate would have passed to the children and not your mother.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you