How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12195
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

A house has been sold which has an extension of its boundaries

This answer was rated:

A house has been sold which has an extension of its boundaries onto my land without permission.
The new owners are unaware of this and it's not there fault but where do I stand under Scottish law?
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. The position is that the new owners have a property that encroaches onto your land. If you wish to have them stop the encroachment then any case you take would have to be against them even although they didn't have anything to do about it. Your remedy would be an action of implement whereby you would ask a court to make them remove the encroachment. Alternatively you could negotiate a Disposition of the encroaching land from you to them and if appropriate ask for a price which could be set by a surveyor. Happy to discuss further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Half the large garage the previous owners built is within my grazing land which would be impossible to get back.
Is there a case against the solicitors who delt with the sale of the property in the first place as they have sold my land or the property unlawfully?
When I bought my last house, the previous owners had also extended there boundaries (onto my grazing land) and the sale wouldn't go through until the correct boundaries where in place?
I would have to see the title to answer this definitively as sometimes the title sheet would not pick an encroachment of less than a few metres.
Generally, however, the selling solicitors do not warrant the title. It is for the purchaser's solicitors to examine the title. There is no relationship between you and the purchaser's solicitors, however. Your remedy is against the purchaser's themselves as current owners. They may or may not have a case against their own solicitors, as I say, depending on the nature and extent of the encroachment.
I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you