How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12073
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I'm self employed and currently pay £120 a week child maintainance

Customer Question

hi I'm self employed and currently pay £120 a week child maintainance ,during the two week Christmas break I have no income ,I'm I still legally required to pay this money which I simply do not have
thanks neil
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
The weekly maintenance you pay is supposed to be based on average earnings over a year, so if you have no income over Christmas that should be taken into account in assessing your weekly amount. However, it's not a "pay if paid" situation. Your child maintenance payments have to be paid on a regular basis and should have been budgeted for in advance.
The answer to your question is, yes, you are legally required to pay this.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.