How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12190
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

Scotland, UK: I have a 19 year old daughter who has decided

This answer was rated:

Scotland, UK: I have a 19 year old daughter who has decided to return to live with her mum after a year or so claiming universal credit, working and flat sharing/living with boyfriend. She had previously attended 2 college courses over the last 2 years but dropped out of both. Meanwhile her mum claimed child benefit and thus maintenance from me. My daughter did not get that financial support passed to her due to a "difficult relationship" between them, which was quite frustrating for me when having to pay my ex. Her mums "conditions" for our daughter returning to her home is to apply for another college course (fairly random) in January that just happens to be at the lower end of the qualifications spectrum...I suspect a claim will be made once again for chb and maintenance from me. Is there anything I can do to prevent having to pay this to my ex? I have continued to support my daughter financially directly through this period every month to help her on her feet. Clearly I could not do both.
Thanks for any advice.
Thank you for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland. As your daughter is 19, her mother can't claim any form of support from you nor could she claim child benefit. Any support has to come from you to your daughter and would be based on her reasonably and appropriately carrying on a course of full time education or training. Happy to discuss. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
That is reassuring. So even if she has decided to go on a course that is equivalent, or lower, than A-level (where the Child Support laws suggest claims can run until 20 years of age) my ex-wife will not be able to make a claim?
That is correct.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi - thanks for the answer. I believe I did credit you for this, but let me know if this did not process. I will just have to wait and see what unfolds with my daughters mother in terms of claims etc. Kind regards.