How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ben Jones Your Own Question
Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 7
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
Ben Jones is online now

Social Services are accusing me of assaulting a vulnerable

Customer Question

Social Services are accusing me of assaulting a vulnerable adult of 22 years in my care.
This happened at a respite home in front of two care workers who had been unable to get her dressed after she had several bowel upsets due to eating fabric.
I had been called to collect her and to take her to her home. I smacked her on the back of her hand then gripped her foot between my knees and held her hand in a fixed position so that I could get her clothes on and take her home.
She has epilepsy and was getting hysterical, perhaps due to the respite care workers' attempts to dress her. I took the action in the fear that any further agitation getting dressed would precipitate a fit.
She also has loose joints and I was afraid that she might dislocate an arm or leg if she wasn't calmed by being fixed in position while she was dressed. My first action on finding her with only a tee shirt on was to check that she had not already dislocated something because the care workers had been struggling with her to get her dressed.
I have been helping the family care for this young person since she was born, as the mother has been a friend since we were both at university together.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question.
What is your status as regards ***** *****? Are you a carer in the formal sense or just a friend of the family? Has there been any formal action other than the accusations by social services.