How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12173
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I live in Scotland. My husband walk out two years ago. He

This answer was rated:

I live in Scotland.
My husband walk out two years ago.
He has been paying the bills etc as I am still in our home.
I run my small business bed and breakfast.
When everything I sorted sale of house ,pension etc split 50%,
He works offshore on a salary of about £70000
Once every is sorted financially ,would he be liable to still maintain me ? As we are still married and I would no longer have my income from my business ,of about £8000 to £10000 per year.
Regards Annie.
Thank you for your question.
I am a solicitor in Scotland. Where a division of capital assets is insufficient to make a fair financial provision for one or other spouse, the court can make an order for maintenance, called periodical allowance, for a period of not more than three years from the date of divorce.
The amount depends on the needs and resources of both parties. The recipient spouse would be expected to try to get her own job if possible to offset the other spuses's liability to such periodical allowance.
Happy to discuss further. You can also see online the provisions of the Family Law (Scotland) Act 1985 which governs this aspect of the law.
I hope this helps. Please leave a positive response so that I am credited for my time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok thanks for the reply paid my one payment don't want to continue further now I know where I stand.
Thanks Annie .
Thanks for your reply. Please leave a positive rating on the system so that I am credited for my time. The question will then close.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you