How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12064
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I intend to leave the marital home due to irreconcilable differences.

Customer Question

I intend to leave the marital home due to irreconcilable differences. I cannot leave until I find suitable accommodation for myself. I was considering buying a property. I have some savings which I would use towards a deposit but how would this stand using this as a deposit when it comes to any divorce proceedings in the future. Would my husband have any claim to this property.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Your husband would have no claim to a property you bought following separation. However, if you use money derived from during the period of the marriage you would have to account for that in your ultimate financial settlement with your husband except if the Maloney was inherits by you or gifted to you from a third party. Happy to discuss further.