How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have Lived with my partner in a house owned by him

This answer was rated:

I have Lived with my partner in a house owned by him for 7 years. We are going to split up and I want to know if I have any rights to the house or contents, or will I have to walk away with nothing
Hello Welcome to Just Answer I am a Solicitor and will try and assist you. Please may I ask: - have you contributed financially towards the property?- do you have children together? Kind Regards Caroline
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, no children together, I have contributed and paid for items for the house and paid for decorating, landscaped the garden, furnished the house.
Hello I am sorry - I have just noticed that you are in Scotland. I am a Solicitor in England and I understand the Laws are different. I will opt out so that one of my colleagues may assist you. Kind Regards Caroline
Thanks for your question. I am a solicitor in Scotland and will help you with this. Under Scots law all the household items are deemed to be owned equally. As far as the house is concerned if it is in joint names then the general rule is that it would be equal shares. If it is in just his name then you would still be able to claim a financial settlement based on your contribution to the property. Whilst you would not have a claim on the title to the house you would have a claim for a capital payment based on your contribution and compensation for that contribution in the interests of your partner or any children of the relationship. Such a claim has to be made within a year of your separating. Happy to discuss further.
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12198
Experience: 30 years as a practising solicitor.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you