How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12092
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I have been accused from my ex girlfriend

Customer Question

Dear Sir or Madam,
I have been accused from my ex girlfriend of "revenge-porn". She believe that I shared her pictures that she sent me when we were together(I never asked for it, neither I sent picture of myself), however I did not do that and I believe she is just frustrated because I broke up with her and she is trying to mess my life. Also she never told me to delete the pictures (I did it anyway time ago) until yesterday. I would like to know if there is actually a law for "revenge-porn" in Scotland and if I would be able to take her to court for defamation.
Thanks for your help.
Kind regards,
**** *******
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Scots Law
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  JGM replied 2 years ago.
Revenge porn can be dealt with under the current law in Scotland in various ways. It can be a contravention of the protection from harassment legislation, a contravention of domestic abuse legislation or a breach of the communications legislation in respect of communicating an obscene image to a public forum. The Scottish Government are also passing a specific Act of the Scottish Parlaiment to deal with revenge porn. However all of that assumes that a person has actually uploaded an image to a website. If she is falsely accusing you then you would have a case for defamation, especially if she has made the allegations to other parties. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.