How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12065
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a Council Tenant. I have been trying months

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am a Council Tenant.
I have been trying for 5 months to have the damp issue sorted in the house with no success. On the 25th Feb 2 workmen came out and checked the loft. They informed me it was soaking and needed dried out before they could repair any damage.
It is now 30th March and still no vents for drying the loft. No one seems to have a clue as to what is going on. The ceilings in the house are covered in after which I was informed where full of Asbestos. I was informed that they would be fine unless they had any cracks. Well surprise, surprise there are cracks now due to the damp problem. I have 3 young children in the house also. 3years old, 7 years old and 12 years old.
Is there anything legally I can do.
You should go to see your local councillor and show him or her photos of the damage and tell of the difficulties you have been having with the housing department. If you have done that already or that approach hasn't worked or doesn't work, you should see a good housing lawyer. You may qualify for legal aid and you can take the council to court for an order insisting that they bring the house up to the repairing standard by doing such work as is necessary. You can also sue for the damage and inconvenience to your own family and possessions. Happy to discuss further. I hope that helps. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.
JGM and other Scots Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. This is very helpful. I have already shown the local council or the problem and sent video of the damage. All the ceilings are full of Asbestos and I was informed they wouldn't pose a health hazard unless they were to crack. Well due to the damp issue there are cracks everywhere on these ceilings
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The children and I were exposed to Asbestos when we first moved into the house. Every wall was covered in artex containing asbestos. The council eventually admitted it contained asbestos when they knew I was removing old nails and hooks from the walls. By this time The wall had been crumbling all over myself and the children
This all the more reason why you should see the councillor because the actual council department isn't doing anything. However, given that this sounds very serious I wouldn't delay in seeing a housing solicitor as there are clearly health issues for your family. I do hope you get this sorted.