How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12076
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

My sister in law died suddenly in a council house. The council

Customer Question

My sister in law died suddenly in a council house. The council want the property back can we empty the property before her estate is settled
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Yes, the house should be cleared as soon as possible and the keys handed back so that the estate doesn't have to pay more rent than necessary. The winding up of the estate doesn't mean that everything has to stay in the house. It should be distributed in accordance with the will or disposed of or sold as the case may be. I hope that helps. Happy to discuss. Please leave a positive rating so that I am credited for my time.