How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JGM Your Own Question
JGM, Solicitor
Category: Scots Law
Satisfied Customers: 12089
Experience:  30 years as a practising solicitor.
Type Your Scots Law Question Here...
JGM is online now

I am a private registered landlord in glasgow . i need advise

Customer Question

i am a private registered landlord in glasgow . i need advise on a tenant witholding rent and asking me to evict her on the 15th May she has an assured tenancy and has been a tenant for around 5 years. i have never had any problems with her but when i went up to collect the rent she refused to allow me into the house , has witheld housing benefit rent for two month and was verbally abusive to me
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Scots Law
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Is the tenant an assured tenant or a short assured tenant? Is she asking to be evicted so as to get a council house? Has any reason been given for the non payment?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As I already said she has an assured tenancy for almost six years. I have had no problems with her and have always got on well. On 29th Feb I went up to collect the the rent and make arrangements for a plumber to call for a minor repair. She refused me entry and started verbally abusing me on the doorstep. She started shouting saying that she wasn't paying the rent. She asked me to bring her an eviction notice for the 15th May. Then slammed the door shouting I will see you I court. She has now witheld the rent for March. I also received a call from police to say that she had called them. I never raised my voice to her and cannot understand her actions.. Could you advise me what to do next.
Expert:  JGM replied 1 year ago.
Your only option would appear to be to start eviction procedures as you would do with any non paying tenant. A notice to quit and relative paperwork would be served by your solicitor. If the notice isn't complied with proceedings for recovery of the property would be taken in court using summary cause procedure. I am presuming that as a landlord you may have some knowledge of the procures concerned. if not I will be happy to help you further.